Today, I want to talk a little about detoxing your body. Previously, you may not have thought much about what you were eating. After all, a lot of what is available in the store or at fast food restaurants is generally toxic to your body. All the more reason to do a detox cleanse. You can find detox drink recipes available online, and below I've included a simple cranberry detox drink. There is a lot of variety available depending on how in depth you want to cleanse. Some detoxes last for weeks, for example Beachbody's Ultimate Reset, while others only last a few days.
The need for detoxing shows why, more and more lately, especially in other countries, a lot of products are being banned. There are, however, toxins that naturally occur in organic produce, as well. Below are a few of the unnatural things to avoid in the food that you buy and eat, and reasons you may consider detoxing for.
1. Artificial food dye: which are found in so many things! Even if you don't think it'd be in something (like ready-to-make biscuits), I'd rather be safe then sorry! It can inhibit nerve-cell development.
2. Brominated vegetable oil: Makes food dye stick to liquid, but also may cause birth defects and major organ damage. You find this in sports drinks and soda pop.
3. Potassium bromate (or bromated flour): Affects your kidneys and nervous system. Found in commercial breads and baked goods.
4. Azodicarbonamide: Bleaches flour, plastic, and can be found in breads, frozen dinners, boxed pasta mixes, and packaged baked goods. It can cause an asthma attack.
5. BHA & BHT: Waxy preservatives linked to cancer and tumors. Found in cereal, nut mixes, gum, butter, meat, dehydrated potatoes.
6. Synthetic growth hormones rBGH and rBST: Harmful to cows and linked to increasing tumor development in humans. You can find it in dairy products.
7. Arsenic: which can be laced in chicken!
8. Farm-raised salmon: they're full of antibiotics!
I know cleaning up my own, and my family's, diet has done wonders for how we feel! It takes time to completely feel better, but you will begin to notice almost right away when you start cleaning up your diet! It's as though your body is sending you a 'thank you'!
Here is a cranberry detox water that you can get started with. There is another way to detox with cranberry juice, which involves apple pectin, and psyllium fiber, as well as dandelion leaf (you can look this one up on the web). Cranberry juice on it's own is great for it's antioxidants and anti-cancer properties.
Drink between each meal.
Mix 8 oz. unsweetened cranberry juice, or 3 Tbsp. concentrate, with 56 oz. plain water (or 64 oz. if using cranberry concentrate).